Saturday, March 2, 2013

NOW PLAYING: JACK THE GIANT SLAYER and THE LAST EXORCISM PART II

Spring is nearly here and that's the best news I've got for you because March's lineup of theatrical releases is pretty sparse for all of us wanting any new genre fare. This week features a new Fantasy/Adventure and one of the only Horror flicks you'll see on the big screen in the next thirty days or so.

The main movie to beat this weekend is obviously JACK THE GIANT SLAYER, starring Nicholas Hoult ("R" from WARM BODIES) as the titular hero. Jack accidentally unleashes a horde of giants upon the kingdom he calls home when he unwittingly allows some magic beans to sprout into a giant beanstalk! Soon he and an army of brave knights will duke it out with giants of all shapes and sizes for the fate of their fantasy world. Let's see if the trailer delivers the goods....


So.... I have to admit that while I'm pretty skeptical about the quality of the CGI in this movie... I'm pretty impressed with what I've just seen. I just went from "don't give a damn if I see it" to "Hey, I think I actually want to check this out." Plus, the cast for this flick is pretty outstanding, and boasts the likes if Ian McShane, Ewan McGregor, Stanley Tucci, and Warwick Davis! Since next week is devoid of anything worthwhile, I do believe I will check this movie out!

Next up is a film that is competing for DUMBEST MOVIE TITLE EVER (thus far, its main competition is A HAUNTING IN CONNECTICUT 2: GHOSTS OF GEORGIA), namely THE LAST EXORCISM... 2! If there's going to be sequels to a film called THE LAST EXORCISM, then clearly it is misnomered. Perhaps the first one should have been called the SECOND TO LAST EXORCISM? In any case, here's the trailer:


I have to admit, it looks way better than I thought it would, but methinks this is a rental at best. Maybe when it hits DVD I'll have a double feature. Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment