Friday, March 8, 2013

NOW PLAYING: OZ THE GREAT AND POWERFUL, ABCS OF DEATH, and THE SILENCE

Along with the release of JACK THE GIANT SLAYER last week, it seems like we are now at the start of Hollywood's blockbuster season which seems to start earlier and earlier every year. (Remember when all the mega budget blockbuster films came out exclusively in the Summer?) This week, Sam Raimi looks to put a hurting on the box office receipts for Bryan Singer's latest fantasy epic, a foreign murder mystery/thriller gets a limited release, and a new-ish Horror anthology will be popping up at a select theater (probably not) near you. Leading the charge this weekend is OZ THE GREAT AND POWERFUL:


Admittedly I didn't have high hopes for this one (sorry Sam!) but after seeing this latest trailer, I'm inclined to grab a ticket to scope it out. It is certainly visually appealing to say the least, and from the handful of reviews I've read, it pretty much is style over substance. Plus there's a helluva good chance of seeing Bruce Campbell in a cameo appearance here, so I may just head out to see it next week!

Up next is a film I'm more than familiar with, namely THE ABCS OF DEATH (read my review for it HERE):


It kills me that this movie wasn't as good as it should have been. The concept is still pretty cool, and I truthfully want another one, but there's gotta be more quality control the next time around. Also, it seems to me that this would play better as an actual competition between filmmakers (weekly TV format?), with the winners walking away with prize money and a distribution contract. If anything though, I have to admit the advertising campaign for this is really damned good. I just watched the trailer again and was like "Man I want to see this.... oh wait.... I did. Nevermind." Hahaha.

Finally, here's the trailer for a film I've been talking about on this here blog for the past few weeks. THE SILENCE opens in select theaters and will treat you to a moody, murder mystery/thriller that'll keep you guessing until the end(?).


It seems interesting but I don't know if I'd go out of my way to see it on the big screen. This one screams "NetFlix streaming" to me, so I'll just hold off on seeing this for a while.

Are you seeing/have you seen any of these on the big screen this weekend? Drop me a comment below and tell me what you watched and how it was, or share your opinions with me on Facebook or Twitter!

No comments:

Post a Comment